Monday, February 2, 2015

I'm not much for words.

Just as my title states I'm not much for words. About a year ago I finished my first published story. At about 70,000 words it is more of a short novel. I was really hoping to get more length, but I was reading a lot of articles online warning newer writers to keep their stories short or publishers or agents would not be interested. I agree with this advice. I decided to turn my first book into a series once I was about halfway finished with the story. Writing is an art that eventually gets better with time and experience. My writing is not the best and I've never been big on punctuation or syntax but that's where editors come in right?

I often thought this over and over in my head while writing my first book. Editing is crucial and don't leave it all for your editor to do. When I submitted my story to my editor I actually felt bad about it, the constant emails back and forth, I could tell they were a little overwhelmed, and maybe even a little upset with me. I guess where I'm going with this blog and my advice to younger writers is keep it simple and short. There is always time and room for more filler if need be. A great filler I have come to use of lately is character development. The more developed the character is the more your reader will love to hate them or hate to love them.

So remember keep the word volume down and focus your efforts on punctuation, syntax, etc. I'm sure your editor will thank you. I know I'm trying to focus my efforts in this direction and I feel that I have more pride in my finished product and with the help of a good editor it'll allow my work to shine.

This is my first blog but if I have the time between the two stories I'm writing then maybe I'll post more in the near future. Happy writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment